As some of you (primarily readers that are also active on the FishUSA Forums) may know, I recently put together a new, lighter fly setup, for fishing for panfish, as well as trout in small streams.  

My new fly rod is a 7' 9" St. Croix rod in the Avid line.  Stumbling upon a recent sale on the Bass Pro Shops website, I got the rod for about half price.  Once it arrived in the mail, I took it to my friendly local fly shop and paired it with a Teton Tioga 2 reel.  Onto this, I spooled up a WF3F Tactical Trout Ridge Line from AirFlo.  Unfortunately, weather kept me off the water for two long days, and it wasnt until Sunday that I was able to try it out.  

Sunday afternoon, I headed out to the Loyalhanna.  I pulled into an access area to find 5 cars parked and empty with a sixth car surrounded by a trio of fishermen geting ready to fish.  So I turned around and headed farther upstream.  Up top, I had the parking area to myself, but a quick check of the water revealed that it was just as crowded as down below.

At that point my adventurous spirit kicked in and I made the drive to the Indian Creek DHALO.  I was surprised to see two other cars in the lot, but once I got on the water, I didnt even see another soul until I got back to the parking area.

Indian creek was beautiful.  It's crystal clear, with good depth and flow, and Sunday, it was the scene of a fairly steady scene of stonefly traffic


Indian Creek DHALO

In fact, the only thing the creek WAS missing was trout.  In a few hours of fishing there, not only did I not catch anything, but I didnt even SEE any fish.  So after a pleasant walk back to the car and headed for a local farm pond.

Action here was much better, as the warm weather had turned the bluegills on!  I caught 2 or three bass and more gills than I could possibly count.  I was catching a few here and there till I discovered a nymph they liked (flatteringly enough, a personal design) and proceeded to catch bluegills steadily for the next several hours.  Here's a picture of one particularly large hog:

 

This entry was posted on 11:48 PM and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: